CTE students take home awards from CTSO state competitions
This season we had numerous students in CTE programs from CHS, FHS, VDL and Kinney high school compete and win awards at their CTSO annual competitions.
CTSOs are Career Technical Student Organizations, an essential component of high quality Career Technical Education (CTE) programs. Through their participation, students develop leadership, teamwork, technical and soft-skills to prepare for college and career readiness. Students gain employability and industry skills in-class and attend leadership conferences and competitions. Our District provides students three CTSO’s (FCCLA, FFA and Skills USA) with plans to add DECA for Business and Entrepreneurship next year.
We are proud of the many awards our students earned, and reflect with great joy on the experience they enjoyed.
Please read below for more detail on these accomplishments!
FCCLA (Family Career & Community Leaders of America)
Students in the Food Service and Hospitality Pathway at Cordova and Kinney High Schools participated in the 2019 California State Leadership Conference in Riverside, CA on April 27th -30th. This is the culminating leadership event and members throughout California gather to increase their leadership skills, explore career options, compete in the state finals of the Competitive Recognition Events and elect a new team of state officers. Chapter, region and state awards, recognition, and scholarships are presented during the State Meeting. Members returned home motivated and inspired to better fulfill their roles in the home, school and community.
CHS Teacher, Linda Goldman earned several awards; a ‘Spirit of Advising Award’, recognition via the Gold Star for Region Star Advisor and a Dedicated Service Award as the 2018-2019 Region 4 Coordinator at the FCCLA 72nd Annual State Leadership Conference in Riverside
Student awards were:
- 2nd Place in Food Innovations (advancing to Nationals) - Jessica Sullivan and Christina Ternes
- 1st Place in Culinary Arts (Breads Division) - Milkah Nyambura
- 1st Place in Culinary Arts (Senior Salad Division) - Ester Abass
- 2nd Place in Culinary Arts (Patisserie) - Wendy Simien
- Silver (Food Innovations of the Mini-Burger) - Chris Anaya, Vanessa Crawford and Amethyst Walker
- Silver (Salad Prep) - Erica Edjar, Angela Greathouse, Ethan Heidt and Charlisse Mandolph-Coleman
- Bronze (Commercial Food Prep) - Rafael Cardona, Michael Waters and Kenneth Yang
- Bronze (Food Innovation of Chili) - Brenda Leal, Mynika Simpson and Stephen Wiley
This was the first year that Kinney High School chartered an FCCLA chapter and were awarded a Certificate of Affiliation at the general session. Teacher, Linda Davis received her 25 year pin for completing that many years of service as an FCCLA advisor and Culinary Arts teacher. Student, Bethany Morgan received a Bronze award for her Menu Planning and Table setting Competition.
FCUSD was well represented at the SkillsUSA California 52nd Annual State Leadership and Skills Conference at the Ontario Convention Center on April 25th - 28th. Students from Cordova, Folsom and Vista del Lago High Schools participated in the conference, travelling together in one bus to Southern California.
Student awards went to:
- Cordova High School
- Gold (Introductory Woodworking) Francisco Sarabia Valdez
- Gold (CO2 Dragster) Haylie McHarg
- Folsom High School
- Gold (Photography) - Colin Case
- Silver (Technical Computer Applications) - Ameer Hamza
- Silver (Architectural Design) - Spencer Nguyen
- Bronze (Quiz Bowl) - Pranav Daggubatti, Wayson Lee, Jack Li, Aiden Szeto and Bart Wysoczynski
- Bronze (Chapter of Excellence Program) - The FHS chapter was awarded this distinction for their work and earned $1,500 for their chapter.
Thanks to these teachers for travelling with the students to the competition. CHS: Andre Leineke - Advisor and CTE Construction Teacher, FHS: Pam Goldman - Advisor and CTE Computer Science and Engineering Teacher, VDL: Pablo Castellanos - Advisor and CTE Animation Teacher
FFA (Future Farmers of America)
Cordova High School’s Agriculture Academy participated in the 91st Annual California State FFA Leadership Conference on April 25th - 28th in Anaheim, CA. The conference is designed to celebrate student accomplishments and inspire students for the future. Students participated in specialized programs including: motivational speakers, fulfilling workshops, an engaging career show, agricultural tours, and an exclusive California FFA event at Disney’s California Adventure.
We wish to thank the dedication of all our CTE teachers who helped our students prepare for competitions and travelled with them to the conferences, along with the parent volunteer chaperones who accompanied the students to help.