Provide each student an individualized program, with parent and teacher support, to earn a high school diploma, acquire values, skills and knowledge necessary to promote life-long learning, enhance self-esteem and become productive, responsible citizens.
Walnutwood High School (WHS) is an independent study program designed for students who desire an alternative to traditional classroom instruction as a way in which to earn their high school diploma. WHS is a Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) accredited school that assists student learning at home using state-adopted curriculum with the support, guidance, and supervision of credentialed teachers.
In our program, students work independently according to a written contract under the general supervision of their instructor. While students follow the district-adopted curriculum and meet the district graduation requirements, the program allows for flexibility to meet their individual needs, interests, and styles of learning.
A student must have sufficient maturity and self-direction to maintain a study schedule of at least 20-25 hours per week. WHS students dedicate themselves to the hard work and discipline it takes to be independent and self-directed learners.
If you are currently enrolled in the Folsom Cordova Unified School District you need to contact your current counselor and ask that they complete an Alternative Education Referral which includes a parent signature and transcript. After we receive your referral we will call to schedule an enrollment/orientation meeting. If the student is under 18 years of age a parent/guardian must be present with their student for the meeting. We will set a virtual orientation appointment for you with the counselor You must withdraw from your current school, return all textbooks, and pay any outstanding fees prior to enrollment.
If you are new to the district and reside in the district service area you may enroll directly at Walnutwood. Please call 916-294-9105 x 840111.
Be prepared to submit the following necessary documents for your student's enrollment:
▪ Ed Code 48002 states that any of the documents listed proof of age is acceptable:
- Certified copy of birth record or statement by the local register or county recorder certifying birth date
- Baptism certificate duly attested
- An affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor
- Or, any other means of providing the age of the child as proscribed by the governing board of the school district
▪ Immunization Records
▪ Copy of IEP or 504, if applicable
- Proof of residency: as defined Ed Code 48204.1(but not limited to)
- Property tax payment receipts
- Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts
- Utility service contract, statement, or payment receipts
- Pay stubs
- Voter registration
- Correspondence from a government agency
- Declaration of residency executed by the parent or legal guardian of a pupil
- Parent provide a photo ID from a government or non-governmental source.
▪ For Incoming Freshmen: Most Recent Report Card
▪ For Incoming Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors - Unofficial Transcript
All enrollment documents need to be provided to the registrar, Mrs. Bailey prior to enrollment.