Welcome to the Elementary Music, Art, and Physical Education Department
March is "Music in Our Schools Month" (Music) & "Youth Art Month" (Visual Art)Congratulations to Curtis Gaesser on receiving theWatch for updates on what's happening in FCUSD Visual and Performing Arts!Using Music During Instruction to Support Cognition An article by Judy Willis ~ Edutopia
CoordinatorMindy Andrus(916) 294-2413Admin. AssistantLisa Vaca(916) 294-2413 x102240
Welcome to Elementary Music, Art & PE!
Elementary Music: We are excited to bring back in-person instruction to all 21 of our elementary schools. While we know that 22-23 will look a little different, we are excited to bring back our General Music program and Instrument Instruction this year!
We are pleased to announce that our 5th grade students have been given their choice of music course. They have selected either General Music, Band or Strings and will participate in the course until the end of the 23-24 school year. All 4th grade students are engaged in General Music. They are learning music theory, vocal music, course choice, percussion, instrument families, genre, and so much more. These General Music lessons will apply significantly, should they choose to learn an instrument when they are in 5th grade.
In addition to our theoretical books, All for Strings, Excellence in Band and Be a Recorder Star, we are using an online platform called Quaver Music, which is designed for elementary students. We are incorporating links to Quaver into our units of instruction. All of our music lessons are based on the California State Standards. These are great resources for students, families and teachers to learn and enjoy music!
This year, we introduced a new online reservation and contract program for string and band instruments. Normally, we ask that parents make a donation of $40. for the cleaning, upkeep and repair of instruments. This year the school district is covering this cost, so no donations are requested. Instruments were delivered directly to local schools, so parents didn't have to come to the District Office to borrow them. (Details about our program can be found at the bottom of this webpage.)
VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts) Summer Enrichment Camp 2023: We are making plans now for our VAPA Summer camp. The camp runs from 6/5/23-6/16/23 and will be held at Gold Ridge Elementary School and a second location at Rancho Cordova Elementary School. Our camp runs in the morning, from around 8:15 am to 11:45 am. We ask for a $400. donation per student for the 2 week camp. If a family needs financial support, a request for a scholarship can be made on the registration form. The registration opened electronically on 4/24/23 at 1:00 pm and is open to all currently enrolled FCUSD 4th and 5th grade students. Spaces are limited. All families with current 4th and 5th grade students have been sent an email with detailed information.
Spring Chorale 2023 is back! We are thrilled to have students performing in person again!
Musical Director, Laurette Gaberman
May 1, 2023 Time 6:30 pm, Rehearsal at Location: Mills Middle School, 10439 Coloma Road, Rancho Cordova, Ca
May 8, 2023 6:30 pm, Parent Performances at located at: Mills Middle School, 10439 Coloma Road, Rancho Cordova, CA
We are pleased to have students from Cordova Gardens, Rancho Cordova and Williamson participate this year!
Elementary PE: We are excited about being on campus for the 22-23 school year! You may see a different PE teacher at your school this year as there have been a few changes to our teaching assignments. All of our PE teachers are highly qualified and excited to be working with our students.
The PE schedule for your child was shared at the beginning of the school year. Please remember to have your child wear comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear on PE days.
For more information about PE, please click on the tab to the left labeled 'Elementary PE'.
Elementary Music Program Information 22-23 :Music is part of the curriculum for all 4th & 5th grade students.
- 4th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is recommended for students who plan to take band in 5th grade.
- 5th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is recommended for students who plan to take choir in middle school.
- Intermediate Strings (Violin, Viola, or Cello)
- Beginning Band (Clarinet, Flute, Trombone, or Trumpet)
General Music classes: Your child will learn to play the recorder, sing, move and engage in a group performance.
Instrument classes: Your child will learn to play an instrument, learn basic music theory and engage in a group performance. Instrument classes take commitment on the part of your child and family. Students are required to practice daily at home. We ask that your child commit to play the instrument for the entire course. Your child will need an instrument for this class. You can rent from a private music company or borrow from the school district. We also recommend a floor stand for practice at home. Books will be given out at the beginning of the class.
Obtaining an Instrument:
- You may buy an instrument or may already own one. Please purchase your instrument from a reputable music store. We do not suggest that you purchase an instrument online or from a big box store. The quality of the instruments are sometimes not good and may not be repairable if damaged. Please be sure it is one of the instruments listed above. We don't offer instruction in any instruments other than the ones listed above.
- You may rent an instrument from a private local music vendor. (See below.)
- You may borrow from the FCUSD Instrument Loaner program. We have a limited number of each instrument. We can not guarantee that your child will receive their first instrument choice.
- General Music recorders and all books are provided to all students in General Music classes
Returning a District Loaned Instrument:
- Each elementary school will be given a date to return the instrument at the end of May. Families will receive instructions to return the instruments. Families will proceed to the loop on the Cordova Lane entrance to the center and wait for directions from staff. Instruments are to be returned to Cordova Lane Center, 2460 Cordova Lane, Rancho Cordova.
Here are some local private music stores for rentals:
The Nicholson Music Co.
Northridge Music Rentals
FCUSD Instrument Loaner Information:We will be introducing a new online reservation system for our loaned instruments. Instruments will be delivered directly to schools, so parents don't have to come to the district office to borrow. More details will be provided prior to the program beginning.The Music Department asks for a one-time, voluntary $40 donation for all district instruments loaned to students. These donations are used to maintain and repair instruments as needed. This donation will be covered for the 22-23 school year.Floor stands for home practice may be purchased for $15.00. Desktop stands for General Music classes may be purchased for $5.00 through our music teachers. Stands may be purchased at local music stores, online, etc.