Welcome to the Elementary Music, Art, and Physical Education Department
Elementary Parent Music Information Night 2020: Please join us to learn about the FCUSD Elementary Music program. The parent meeting will be held on 3/30/20, in the ESC Board room from 5:30-6:30 pm. The ESC is located at 1965 Birkmont Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA. We look forward to seeing you then!Elementary Visual Arts:The City of Rancho Cordova, through the Measure H Community Enhancement Grant, has generously donated funds to support the Visual Arts program at all Rancho Cordova elementary schools. We will continue to bring the Meet the Masters program to our Rancho Cordova elementary schools. This quality program benefit our students, families and community in many ways. Look for more information to come!
- Meet the Masters is at our Rancho Cordova Elementary schools beginning 1/6/20 until 5/22/20!
VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts) Summer Enrichment Camp 2020:We are pleased to announce that we will be offering our VAPA Summer Enrichment Camp for the fourth year, summer 2020. The camp is scheduled to run from Monday, 6/8/20 until Friday, 6/19/20. The camp runs from 8:15 am until 12:15 pm (subject to change). The location will be Gold Ridge Elementary School. Click on the links below to see last year's information and the registration form:
Elementary Music Program Information:Welcome to Elementary Music! Your student will learn to play an instrument, read music, and perform in a group setting. Below is an overview of our program. We look forward to working with you and introducing your student to the joy of music. Information will be emailed to you and sent home with your student during the first week of school. Their teacher will send home a form for you to choose which class they will take. See below and click on the 'Elementary Music' tab on the left of this page for details about our class offerings.Music is part of the curriculum for all 4th & 5th grade students. Families can choose General Music or an Instrument class as listed below:
- 4th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is very good for students who plan to take band in 5th grade.
- Beginning Strings (Violin, Viola, or Cello) This option is a pre-requisite for Intermediate Strings.
- 5th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is very good for student who plan to take choir in middle school.
- Intermediate Strings (Violin, Viola, or Cello)
- Beginning Band (Clarinet, Flute, Trombone, or Trumpet)
General Music classes: Your child will learn to play the recorder, sing move and engage in a group performance. Recorders and books will be given out at, at eache school site, at the beginning of the school year. If your child is interested in playing a band instrument in 5th grade, we suggest that they take General Music in 4th grade.
Instrument classes: Your child will learn to play an instrument, learn basic music theory and engage in a group performance. Instrument classes take commitment on the part of your child and family. Students are required to practice daily at home. We ask that your child commit to play the instrument for the entire school year. Your child will need an instrument for this class. We also recommend a floor stand for practice at home. Books will be given out at the beginning of the school year. We have a limited number of stands available for purchase at the beginning of the school year.
Obtaining an Instrument:
- You may buy an instrument or may already own one. Please purchase your instrument from a reputable music store. We do not suggest that you purchase an instrument online or from a big box store. The quality of the instruments are sometimes not good and may not be repairable if damaged. Please be sure it is one of the instruments listed above. We don't offer instruction in any instruments other than the ones listed above.
- You may rent an instrument from a private local music vendor. (See below.)
- You may borrow from the FCUSD Instrument Loaner program. Information about our loaner instruments is sent home with students during the first week of school. We have a limited number of each instrument. We can not guarantee that your child will receive their first instrument choice.
- General Music recorders and all books can be borrowed or purchased.
Here are some local private music stores for rentals:
The Nicholson Music Co.
Northridge Music Rentals
FCUSD Instrument Loaner Information:
Students will receive an information/letter, with their loaner information, the first week of school. It will be sent home with your child. If you are wanting a string instrument, your child must be measured. We will need to measure your child as there are several sizes of string instruments.The Music Department asks for a one time, voluntary $40 donation for all district instruments loaned to students. These donations are used to maintain and repair instruments as needed.Floor stands for Instrument clases may be purchased for $15.00. Desktop stands for General Music classes may be purchased for $5.00 through our music Teachers. Stands may be purchased at local music stores, online, etc.