Welcome & Events
The College/Career Center is located near the Multi-purpose Room in the Administration Building and is open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. College and post-secondary career option representatives will be visiting throughout the year to provide information to students and families.Some of the programs available at the College/Career Center are:
Feel free to contact Mrs. Calderwood with your suggestions, resources, ideas and wishes for resources and programs at the College/Career Center. We look forward to serving the students and families at Vista del Lago!
- College & Career Exploration
- College Representative Visits to Vista's campus
- College Application Assistance
- Enrichment Opportunities
- Financial Aid & Scholarship Information
- Military Recruiter Visits to Vista's campus
- Naviance Training and Support
- Volunteer/Internship/Employment Opportunities
Programs and PresentationsCOLLEGE PLANNINGUpcoming College Fairs -
College Representative Visits -
- FCUSD College Fair - Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 6-8 p.m. @ Folsom High School.
FlexTime Programs - Students must sign up in FlexiSched for these programs:
- Colleges visiting this fall will be listed in Naviance under the Colleges tab>College Visits and via this calendar. Check back often for updates on colleges who have scheduled campus visits. College Reps visit during FlexTime, during lunch times, and occasionally after school.
Financial Aid Information Night - Fall date TBA The CSUS Financial Aid Department will be on hand to explain the financial aid process for 4 year universities. All grades welcome.Scholarship List - Find local and regional scholarships posted on Naviance under the Colleges tab (Scholarships & Money Section > Scholarship List). In addition, a binder with printouts of the scholarship opportunities is located in the Career Center.College Night for Freshmen/Sophomores - Winter 2019 date TBA. Kathleen Williams from University of the Pacific has experience at a number of colleges and will share what college admissions officers are looking for in freshmen admits. Learn what you can do now to best prepare yourself to shine in the admissions process. This evening is for students and their families.
- College Representative Visits during Flex - Select Flextimes during the year when reps are on campus during Flex. See calendar for schedule
- Advanced Education Presentation - Thursday, November 30 and Tuesday, April 24. Find out how to take classes at Folsom Lake College for free while you are in high school. Learn about the requirements and considerations to think about before signing up for Advanced Ed classes at FLC. Advanced Education is available to students after sophomore year or who will be 16 by the first day of the FLC term.
- Scholarship Application Workshops - Presentations about finding scholarships in Naviance and beyond, making the best of your application packet, tracking applications and deadlines, and more. These workshops begin in November.
- Career Explorations Programs:
- Summer Preceptorship Information Sessions - dates TBA in January 2019.
- Internship Programs - information sessions scheduled as program are announced
- Career Speakers -
- November 9 - Careers in Banking
Folsom Lake College Programs on FLC Campus - Specifically for Vista Students
- Information & Registration Assistance for Mid-Year Grads - October 2 during Flextime.
- Advanced Education Workshop - November 27 and April 26 during Flex time. Learn about taking college classes while you are still in high school. Students must be 16, have a minimum GPA, and are only able to take classes that are not offered at Vista. Come to learn more
- Parent/Student Information Night - January 29, 2019, 6 p.m. in the Vista del Lago Multipurpose Room. Receive information from FLC's Outreach Specialists about degree programs, certificates and transferring to a 4-year university from FLC. The application process, including information about assessments, orientation, education plans and registrations will be included. There will also be some information about financial aid resources.
- FLC Application Workshops - For students planning on attending FLC during summer or fall of 2019 - During FlexTime February 12
CAREER EXPLORATIONJobs/Career Exploration Events & Resources - Are posted in the Career Center and on the webpage for students who would like to explore career sectors through workplace learning experiences and community events.Flextime Presentations - Offered throughout the year on career options, job opportunities, appreticeship programs, CTE (Career & Technical Education) programs in the community, etc.ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery - November 28 and March 27 from 1:45-4:45 p.m. This 3-hour test is offered in the Vista Career Center twice a year and includes an interpretation session. Interpretation sessions scheduled two weeks after the test. Results are useful in helping to determine a student's strengths and best career matches. Test results are utilized by the military to help determine likely career options in the military, but are useful to the student whether or not they plan a military career. Test is free and confidential. Signup in the Career Center.Military:
- Orientation - Date TBA at FLC in room FL1-107. Invaluable info about campus, programs, resources, services, processes, etc.
- Assessment Testing - Date TBA at FLC in room FL1-107. This assessment is required to place students in appropriate English and math courses, and is needed to receive priority registration.
Naviance Assistance - Naviance Family Connection offers students a variety of career exploration tools. Stop into the Career Center during open hours for information about career assessments and other tools available to help select possible future careers. Information is also available in the Naviance Resource Guide posted on the Vista Naviance webpage.Vista Summer Preceptorship Program - For Vista Juniors...see website for more information. Details about the 2019 program will be available during Term 2.
- Military Options Information Night - March 13, 6 p.m. in the Library. This evening will consist of a brief presentation by each of the branches of military service, information about ROTC Scholarship programs, plus the video, "The 5 Pointed Star" about the 5 U.S. Service Academies. The evening ends with an opportunity to talk one-on-one with recruiters and other representatives.
- ASVAB - November 28 & March 27. Career Exploration test that helps possible recruits learn what jobs/careers they are qualified for in the military.
- Recruiters on Campus - 1st & 3rd Thursdays during Lunchtime. Students are also welcome to pick up printed information in the Career Center and get their name of our local recruiter contacts.
- Senior Military Sendoff - Thursday, May 16 during Flextime. Seniors who are joining the military will be recognized.
Julie CalderwoodCollege/Career Center Clerk(916) 294-2410 ex. 410138Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.College Reps: If you would like to visit Vista del Lago this fall, please check RepVisits to sign up or e-mail Jcalderwood@fcusd.org if no times on RepVisits work for you. (Note: there is another Vista del Lago in Moreno Valley, CA)