Welcome to our FMS Jazz Band Audition page!
Remember, you DON'T NEED TO AUDITION to be in Beginning Band or to move from Beginning Band to Intermediate Band. Auditions are only necessary to skip a level or to be enrolled in an advanced group like Advanced Band or Jazz Band.
Jazz Band members from 22/23 only need to submit the form to participate in 23/24.
ATTENTION all current 5th graders who have registered for Band for school year 2023-2024!
If you would like to be considered for a more advanced band like our Intermediate Band, Advanced Band or Jazz Band class placement for 6th grade (2023-2024), you must audition for a spot. Please read on for the specific audition information.
Jazz Band Audition Requirements (Woodwind, Brass, Rhythm Section)
- Fill out the Jazz Band Audition Form here with your student’s information: Jazz Band Audition Form
- Download the required audition page for your instrument. There should be 2 blues scales and an "Audition" piece for each instrument (with the exception of drums). The last part is the chromatic scale (#2 below).
- Each blues scale should be one octave (written) unless you are comfortable playing two. Drummers, please record yourself playing a rock beat and one other of your choosing instead of scales.
- The Chromatic scale should include all of the half-steps (each box on a fingering chart) going from as low to as high as you can play comfortably and consistently.
- The "Audition" piece is a short melody that utilizes "swing" 8th notes (each 8th note pair should be performed like a dotted 8th note followed by a 16th note). For Rhythm Section (guitar, piano, bass and drums), you have a different excerpt that may be played along with the sample recording attached or a metronome. The preferred tempo is 108 bpm. It is suggested that all students utilize the sample recording to hear the stylistically appropriate interpretation.
- Make a video recording of the audition. Each scale can be a separate track/file (please label with the scale name), but the ENTIRE "Audition" piece must be one file with no editing. Please make sure to review all recordings before sending for accuracy and completeness (incomplete auditions will NOT be accepted). Make sure audition files are labeled with the student’s name and instrument.
- Only completed auditions with all requirements (2 blues scales, chromatic scale, and "Audition") will be considered.
- Send the recorded files to Mr. Lingenfelter. They can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or may be shared from a Gmail account (Google Drive) with email@example.com. All auditions must be received by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 9, 2023.
- Audition results may not be finalized until May, and students auditioning are not guaranteed a spot in Jazz Band.
- Jazz Band is a "Zero period" before the school day (starting at 7:53) and students must be concurrently enrolled in another music class during the day.
- If you have any questions, contact Mr. Lingenfelter at firstname.lastname@example.org.