FCUSD Message to the Community, March 9
March 9, 2022
Dear FCUSD Community,
The COVID-19 Dashboard has been updated. Please visit: www.fcusd.org/COVID
Updates to health requirements
The state has updated masking requirements in K-12 schools, from mandatory to strongly recommended effective after 11:59 p.m. on March 11.
To view the Governor’s press release, please visit this website.
On February 17, 2022, the FCUSD Board adopted a Resolution that allows us to “Eliminate COVID-19 Health Mandates Immediately Upon State or Local Authorizing Action.” This resolution acknowledges the District’s compliance to follow the current California Department of Public Health (CDPH) mandates until such authorization is amended by either state or local officials, and to immediately adhere to the newest mandates once received.
Therefore, as of March 12 masking will be optional in all FCUSD schools
On March 7, the CDPH issued this statement, which further addresses a holistic approach to maintaining safe learning environments as we transition next week to mask optional in our schools.
Today, March 9, the CDPH announced updates that will go into effect on March 12. To view, please visit the links below:
- COVID-19 Public Health Guidance for K-12 Schools in California, 2021-22 School Year: UPDATED Guidance, effective 3/12/22
- Group-Tracing Approach to Students Exposed to COVID-19 in a K-12 setting: UPDATED Group Tracing Guidance, effective 3/12/22
What changes will we see next week at school?
- Masking will be optional for staff and students but strongly recommended as per public health guidance
- Signage for “masking required” will change to “strongly recommended”
- Sacramento County Department of Public Health (SCPH) Decision Forest for contact tracing has been simplified (please click HERE and see the attachment for details)
- Testing of athletes will no longer be required
- Masking for all extracurricular activities, including athletics, clubs, music and performing arts will move from “mandatory” to “strongly recommended”
What will stay the same?
- Weekly testing, until no longer mandated by CalOSHA, for all unvaccinated staff and unvaccinated volunteers
- Our commitment to safe and welcoming learning environments. We will continue to:
- Encourage frequent hand washing
- Ask all students and staff to monitor for symptoms daily
- Contact trace
- Please visit this link, outlining the new Decision Tree from the Sacramento County Department of Public Health (SCPH)
- As these guidelines are updated we will keep you informed.
- Encourage all eligible individuals to be fully vaccinated
- Encourage testing if symptomatic or exposed to a COVID positive individual
- As per CDPH, recommend but not require, wearing a mask on school sites.
- Respect each individual’s decision, regarding mask-wearing
- Bullying and harassment, for either continuing to wear a mask or choosing not to wear a mask, will not be tolerated. Parents and guardians, please stress to your student(s) that whatever choice other students make, it is important to respect that choice.
To better assist our community with questions regarding safety protocols and changes relating to the new masking updates, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Will unvaccinated employees continue to be required to test weekly?
Yes. This is a Cal/OSHA mandate for employers.
Will unvaccinated volunteers be required to test weekly?
Yes. The same rules from Cal/OSHA apply to unvaccinated volunteers as they do to unvaccinated employees.
Will the District offer testing?
Yes. FCUSD is offering antigen testing throughout the week by appointment only at the ESC. For more information please contact Health Services at 916-294-9013 or email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Will student-athletes continue to be required to test weekly?
Sports testing ends as of March 12.
Will the “mask required” signs on school campuses be taken down?
Signage at schools will be replaced with “masks strongly recommended”
Will there be changes in the Decision Tree for contact tracing and notifications?
Yes. Please visit: Interim COVID-19 Guidance for K-12 Schools, March 7, from SCPH which includes an updated and simplified Decision Tree for K-12 schools
We are encouraged by the declining numbers of COVID, and the resolve of our community to work together so our students remain safely learning in school. We will continue to keep you updated and appreciate your partnership.
Regular Board Meeting: Thursday, March 10, 2022
**Open Session: 5:30 p.m.**
The full agenda, instructions for participating in-person or on Zoom, and instructions for participating in public comments can be found on our website: www.fcusd.org/boardmeeting
For those who attend the meeting in person, masks are strongly recommended, regardless of vaccination status, as per the California Department of Public Health’s latest guidelines, and the health order issued by Sacramento County Public Health.
Agenda items include:
- Recognition of Fall Sports Teams & Coaches
- Approve 2021-2022 Second Interim Financial Report, for Period Ending January 31, 2022, with Positive Certification
- A-G Completion Improvement Grant
- First Read: Revisions to Board Policy (BP) 6170.1: Transitional Kindergarten
- First Read: Revisions to Board Policy (BP) 5145.9: Hate Motivated Behavior
- Recommended Instructional Calendars for the 2022-2023 and the 2023-2024 School Years
- Review New Board Agenda Template
The Board meeting will be viewable from the District’s YouTube channel. Public wishing to provide public comments may:
Submit written public comments prior to the Board meeting, using the Google Public Comment Card Form link found on our website (provided no later than 12:00 p.m., the day prior to the meeting). All written comments will be given to the Board by 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 10. The link will close by 3:00 p.m., Thursday, March 10.
Public comments may be made during the Board meeting, in-person at the Education Services Center (1965 Birkmont Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA), or via Zoom. Due to constraints on our Zoom account, the maximum number of participants in the Zoom room is 300.
UPCOMING REGULAR BOARD MEETING DATES:
- March 24
- April 7
- April 28
- May 19