Standard 6.4: Students analyze the geography, religion, achievements, political, economic, and social structure of the early civilizations of ancient India.
Essential Question: How did the environment influence the emergence and decline of the Indus civilization? How did religions of Ancient India, including Hinduism and Buddhism, support individuals, rulers, and societies?
-NOTE: the Learning Targets are being completed through Google Classroom. Please ask your student to show you their Learning Targets.
1. I can locate and describe the major river systems and discuss the phyiscal setting that supported the rise of civilization in India.
2. I can describe early civilizations in India.
3. I can idenfity and describe the Varnas in India.
4. I can identify and define key terms in Hindu beliefs.
5. I can sequence the life and moral teachings of Buddha.
6. I can compare and contrast Ashoka's rule before and after he embraced Buddhism.
7. I can discuss important aesthetic and intellictual traditions and achievements of India.
*In addition to the schedule, below you will find necessary readings and informational maps*
Day Date Assignment
Mon 4.29 Mohenjo Daro Activity (Readings)
Tues 4.30 The Harappan Civilization (readings)
Weds 5.1 Notes: Migration and settlement (LT 2 Due)
Thurs 5.2 Early Hinduism (readings)
Fri 5.3 Office Hours (LT 3, 4 Due)
Mon 5.6 Hinduism Primary source analysis
Tues 5.7 Buddhism research
Weds 5.8 Buddhism Cartoon Project (replaces LT5)
Thurs 5.9 Ashoka Quote analysis (Buddhism project due)
Fri 5.10 Office Hours (LT 6 Due)
1. Subcontinent 14. Brahman
2. Monsoons 15. Reincarnation
3. Migrated 16. Karma
4. Language family 17. Dharma
5. Indigenous 18. Buddhism
6. Raja 19. Meditate
7. Sanskrit 20. Nirvana
8. Vedas 21. Jainism
9. Texts 22. Ahimsa
10. Oral Tradition 23. Stupas
11. Manual 24. Pilgrims
12. Guru 25. Bhagavad Gita
*In addition to the table of contents, below are templates and instructions for the various assignments*
India Table of Contents
138 Ancient India Title Page
139 India Unit Notebook Check (completed at the end of the unit)
140 Table of Contents
141 Vocabulary (25 words)
142 Study Guide
143 Learning Targets (7 total)