There are a number of opportunities, beyond Vista Clubs, for enrichment and awards through community and district programs. Listed below is information about some of these programs.
The following are selective, funded opportunities. A number of additional fee-based opportunities can be found on Naviance under enrichment, and in the Vista Career Center. Stop in for more information.
: This program, run through the American Legion, and funded by the Folsom American Legion Post, offers junior boys with a 3.0 GPA or better the opportunity to attend a one week leadership program at CSU, Sacramento in the summer. Boys State Website
Applications are due March 1. Flyer
This program is run through the American Legion Auxiliary and funded by Folsom's American Legion Post. The program offers junior girls with a 3.5 GPA or better a one-week fully funded program at Claremont McKenna College in Southern California. Transportation costs are also included. Application Info
. Application is due February 15. Girls State Website
RYLA - Rotary Youth Leadership Academy.
FBI Teen Academy -
A one-day program generally offered twice per year: once in the fall and once in the spring. Spring date is Friday, April 11. Deadline to apply is Monday, March 11 at 4 p.m. Spring 2019 Application
Sacramento District Attorney Youth Academy -
This program meets twice a month from late September-March/April at one of 4 regional locations, the closest of which is the Rancho Cordova Police Department. Deadline to apply
is September 8, 2017. Space is limited and on a first come, first served basis.
The following recognitions are available to Vista Students:
Seal of Biliteracy
- Recognized with a medallion that can be worn at graduation, a certificate presented at the Senior Cum Laude Awards Night, and a seal on the student's high school diploma. Students who can speak, read and write a language other than English; and have at least a 2.0 gpa in 4 years of required English classes may qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy
. Applications due to Mrs. Kleinle by February 15.
Students may demonstrate Biliteracy in the following ways:
- Pass the Language Exam, offered by the Sacramento County Office of Education on April 3, 3-5 p.m. at Cordova High School.
- Complete 4 years of language classes at Vista with a 3.0 gpa or better.
- Pass a Language AP test with 3 or better
- Receive a score of 600 or better on a SAT language Subject Test