• Welcome to Homeless Student Services
  • hs

    You can enroll in school even if you have:
    • Uncertain housing
    • A temporary address
    • No permanent address

    You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if you live:

    • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, youth shelter, or transitional living program)
    • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing
    • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
    • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the street
    • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or guardian
    • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)
    • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth

    To enroll in or attend school if you live under any of these conditions, you do NOT need to provide:

    • Proof of residency
    • Immunization records or tuberculosis skin-test results
    • School records
    • Legal guardianship papers

     You may: 

    • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible.
    • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance zone or district.
    • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin.
    • Qualify automatically for child nutrition programs (free and reduced-price lunches and other district food programs).
    • Contact the district liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.

    Parents’ responsibilities are to:

    • Make sure your child attends school regularly and completes homework and projects on time.
    • Attend parent/teacher conferences, Back-to-School Nights, and other school-related activities.
    • Stay informed of school rules, regulations, and activities.
    • Participate in school advisory/decision-making activities.

    Purpose:"...to ensure that (homeless) children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach proficiency on challenging state academic standards and state academic assessments." DS Sec. 1001

     Resources Guide 2022-2023  

    Resources Guide 2022-2023, Spanish

  • Dr. Iyuanna Pease

    Dr. Iyuanna Pease
    District Homeless Liaison
    (916) 294-9000 

    Marjorie Diaz
    Education Services Liaison
    (916) 294-9090 ext. 610344

    Lynn Lavapie
    Categorical Program Assistant
    (916) 294-9090 ext. 610343

    Rebecca Budge
    Categorical Program Assistant
    (916) 294-9090 ext. 610211

    Alejandra Mogollón
    Clerk Typist II
    (916) 294-9090 ext. 610341