Community Reader Volunteer InstructionsPlease follow these steps.
1. Read the Volunteer Handbook2. Obtain a clear TB test.
- You can get this from your health care provider, or at one of our Free TB Test Clinics
- If you are under 18, please have your parent/guardian sign this Permission Form before coming to our TB clinic
3. Fill out and sign these three forms:
- Category 2 Application - The Volunteer Sign Up form.
- Volunteer Agreement Form - Please sign after you have read the Volunteer Handbook (see the link below)
- Workers Comp (MPN) - Please read and sign
4. Bring the signed paperwork and a copy of your TB test results to the front reception desk at the ESC/District Office:1965 Birkmont Drive, Rancho Cordova, 95742Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.5. Fill out a Livescan Form and get your picture taken for your Volunteer Badge. Please bring a valid ID (such as a driver's license or a passport). If you have lived outside of California during the last 4 years, we will need to collect $17 for the FBI background check. We can only accept checks.6. Go to one of our approved vendors to be fingerprinted. We will give you a list of options. Please note, there is a "rolling fee" that the vendor will charge (between $18 - $27).
As soon as your fingerprints are clear we will let you know and arrange to get your badge to you.Thank you for your interest in volunteering!Your involvement will make a significant difference in the life of a child.FAQ:I would like to be a volunteer elsewhere in the district. What is the procedure for this?Same process as becoming a Community Reader, however, you will submit your paperwork to theschool site where you would like to help.For more information on our district's volunteer policy, click here:
How long is a TB test valid?
Where can I get a TB test?
Your primary physician OR one of our free clinics! Dates are posted on the link above.
I've been fingerprinted before, for another organization. Can I use those?
No. The Department of Justice will not allow agencies to share fingerprints, due to privacy laws.I am a Category 2 volunteer for FCUSD, but I want to work at a different school site, or become a Community Reader. Do I need to be fingerprinted again?You do not have to redo Livescan fingerprints. However, you will need to fill out a separate volunteer applicationfor the school site or specific program (such as Community Readers).
Why do I need to take these steps?
The health and safety of our students is our top priority. These measures are put in place with the students’ best welfare in mind.
Does it cost anything?
There is a partial fee for the fingerprints. While the District subsidizes most of the fingerprinting cost, you are responsible for the “rolling fee" (between $18 - $27). This cost varies, depending on where you go. We will give you a list of options when you turn in your forms.If you have lived outside of California during the last 4 years, we will need to collect an additional $17 for theFBI background check. We can only accept checks.If you have additional questions, please call or email us!Angela Griffin AnkhelyiCommunity Outreach Coordinatoragriffin@fcusd.org916-294-9000 x102225