What is the DELAC?
A district is required to form a DELAC if it has 51 or more English learner students. The committee is comprised of school staff, parents of EL students, other parents and community members who are interested in English learner programs. At least 51 percent of the committee must be made up of parents of English learner students who are not employed by the district. DELAC members are elected by ELAC members at school sites.
The purpose of the DELAC is to advise, not govern, EL services and programs offered by the district. As an advisory group, DELAC member duties include:
- Developing a Master Plan for educational programs and services to English Learners.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishing district program goals and objectives for English Learners.
- Developing a plan to ensure compliance with teacher and paraprofessional requirements to teach English Learners.
- Administrating the annual language census.
- Reviewing and commenting on the district’s reclassification procedures for English Learners.
- Performing self-evaluation to determine if the DELAC is meeting its goals and appropriately representing the district’s English Learners.
The overall goal of the DELAC is to improve our English learners’ acquisition of fluency in English and to help our students achieve academic success.
All DELAC meetings, including subcommittees, are required by law to be open to the public. Meeting agendas must be posted in a public place a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
An ideal DELAC meeting agenda should include student achievement data, reclassification data, and discussion aimed to increase parental involvement. Items not listed on the agenda cannot be voted upon.More for information please visit the California Department of Education District-level English Learner Advisory Committee webpage
2020-21 Meeting Dates:
- Special DELAC Meeting September 4, 2020
- Junta Especials DELAC el 4 de septiembere, 2020
- Thursday, November 19, 2020
Jueves 19 de noviembre, 2020
- Friday, January 29, 2021
- Viernes 21 de enero, 2021
- Thursday, February 18, 2021
- Jueves 18 de febrero, 2021
- Thursday, March 18, 2021
- Jueves 18 de marzo, 2021
- Thursday, May 20, 2021
- Jueves 20 de mayo, 2021
- Thursday, June 3, 2021 Special DELAC Meeting as needed
- Jueves 3 de junio, 2021 Junta especial DELAC si es necesario
All meetings will be held from 10:00 A.M. - 11.00 A.M.
All meetings will be virtual this year