What is DELAC?
A district is required to form a DELAC if it has 51 or more English learner students. The committee is comprised of school staff, parents of EL students, other parents, and community members who are interested in English learner programs. At least 51 percent of the committee must be made up of parents of English learner students who are not employed by the district. DELAC members are elected by ELAC members at school sites.
The purpose of the DELAC is to advise, not govern, EL services and programs offered by the district. As an advisory group, DELAC member duties include:
- Developing a Master Plan for educational programs and services for English Learners.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishing district program goals and objectives for English Learners.
- Developing a plan to ensure compliance with the teacher and paraprofessional requirements to teach English Learners.
- Administrating the annual language census.
- Reviewing and commenting on the district’s reclassification procedures for English Learners.
- Performing self-evaluation to determine if the DELAC is meeting its goals and appropriately representing the district’s English Learners.
The overall goal of the DELAC is to improve our English learners’ acquisition of fluency in English and to help our students achieve academic success.
All DELAC meetings, including subcommittees, are required by law to be open to the public. Meeting agendas must be posted in a public place a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
An ideal DELAC meeting agenda should include student achievement data, reclassification data, and discussion aimed at increasing parental involvement. Items not listed on the agenda cannot be voted upon.For more information please visit the California Department of Education District-level English Learner Advisory Committee webpage
2022-23 DELAC Meeting Dates:
Fechas de las Reuniones DELAC para el 2022-23:
- Tuesday, September 13, 2022 Officers Only
- Martes, 13 de septiembre 2022 Solo Representantes
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022
- Martes 18 de octubre 2022
- Tuesday, January 10, 2022
- Martes, 10 de enero 2022
- Tuesday, February 14, 2023
- Martes, 14 de febrero 2023
- Tuesday, May 2, 2023
- Martes 2 de mayo 2023
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 Officers only at the ESC Conference Room 302
- Martes, 6 de junio 2023 solo representantes
All meetings this year will be held from 4:30 P.M. - 6.00 P.M.
Meeting location: Open to be virtual or in person depending on CDC's current Guidelines. For in-person, the meeting location will alternate between Cordova Lane Center and the ESC Board Room,