Welcome to the Elementary Music, Art, and Physical Education Department
Elementary Physical Education:FCUSD Track & Field Meet will be held on Friday, 5/3/19 at 4:00 pm at the Folsom High School Stadium. We look forward to seeing all of our 4th 5th and elementary 6th grade students participate!VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts) Summer Enrichment Camp 2019:We are pleased to announce that we will be offering our VAPA Summer Enrichment Camp for the third year, summer 2019. The camp is scheduled to run from Monday, 6/10/19 until Friday, 6/21/19. The camp runs from 8:15 am until 12:15 pm (subject to change). The location will be determined shortly. Click on the links below for more information and the registration form:Elementary Music Program Information:Welcome to Elementary Music! Your student will learn to play an instrument, read music, and perform in a group setting. Below is an overview of our program. We look forward to working with you and introducing your student to the joy of music. Click on the 'Elementary Music' tab on the left of this page for details about our class offerings.Music is part of the curriculum for all 4th & 5th grade students. Families can choose General Music or an Instrument class as listed below:
- 4th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is very good for students who plan to take band in 5th grade.
- Beginning Strings (Violin, Viola, or Cello) This option is a pre-requisite for Intermediate Strings.
- 5th Grade Students:
- General Music (Recorder, singing, movement) This option is very good for student who plan to take choir in middle school.
- Intermediate Strings (Violin, Viola, or Cello)
- Beginning Band (Clarinet, Flute, Trombone, or Trumpet)
General Music classes: Your child will learn to play the recorder, sing move and engage in a group performance. Your child will need a recorder (instrument) and a recorder book for this class. If your child is interested in playing a band instrument in 5th grade, we suggest that they take General Music in 4th grade. Recorders and books can be borrowed or purchased and will be available at the beginning of the school year.
Instrument classes: Your child will learn to play an instrument, learn basic music theory and engage in a group performance. Instrument classes take commitment on the part of your child and family. Students are required to practice at home. We ask that your child commit to play the instrument for the entire school year. Your child will need an instrument and book for this class. We also recommend a floor stand for practice. Books and stands will be available to borrow or purchase at the beginning of the school year.
Obtaining an Instrument:
- You may buy an instrument or may already own one. We do not suggest that you purchase an instrument online or from a big box store. The quality of the instruments are sometimes not good. Please be sure it is one of the instruments listed above.
- You may rent an instrument from a private local music vendor. (See below.)
- You may borrow from the FCUSD Instrument Loaner program. Information about our loaner nights is sent home with students during the first week of school. (We can not guarantee that your child will receive their first instrument choice.)
- General Music recorders and all books can be borrowed or purchased.
Here are some local private music stores for rentals:
The Nicholson Music Co.
Northridge Music Rentals
Elementary Parent Music Information Night 2020: Please join us to learn about the FCUSD Elementary Music program. The parent meeting will be held on 3/30/20, in the ESC Board room from 5:30-6:30 pm. The ESC is located at 1965 Birkmont Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA. We look forward to seeing you then!Elementary Visual Arts:The City of Rancho Cordova, through the Measure H Community Enhancement Grant, has generously donated funds to support the Visual Arts program at all Rancho Cordova elementary schools. We will continue to bring the Meet the Masters program to our Rancho Cordova elementary schools. This quality program benefit our students, families and community in many ways. Look for more information to come!
- Meet the Masters is at our Rancho Cordova Elementary schools beginning 1/7/19 until 5/24/19!