7th Grade Science Kendra Duncan Folsom Middle School
Dear Parents and Students,
My name is Ms. Duncan and I will be your child's science teacher for this school year. I am very excited about getting
to know your child and helping them learn about the amazing world of science. I have been teaching science at FMS for
twelve years and have many educational labs and hands on activities to engage, develop curiousity and encourage an
appreciation for the many wonders of our world. Information about our class and assignments are posted weekly on my
teacher website. If you have questions, please email me at email@example.com
The following materials are recommended for our science class. If these materials are a financial burden,
students may obtain them from their counselor.
1. Spiral binding botebook, college ruled 2. Folder with 2 pockets
3. Pens, and many sharpened pencils 4. Highlighter, dryerase marker, colored pencils
5. Ruler (metric), glue stick 6. Index cards
1. Intro to science - lab safety, metrics, scientific method, C.E.R. (claim, evidence, reasoning)
2. Chemistry - composition and states of matter, chemical reactions
3. Microscopes and cells, movement of molecules in cells (osmosis, diffusion)
4. Energy and matter in cells - photosynthesis /cellular respiration
5. Ecosystems - energy trnsfer, cycles fof matter (water, carbon, nitrogen cycles), human impact
6. Earth processes through geoplogical time, processes that shape the earth
7. Positive Prevention Program (Family Life)
1. All school rules apply. (Safe, Responsible, Respectful)
2. Arrive on time and walk into the class calmly and quietly.
3. Be prepared and have your books and materials with you daily. Look at the instructions on the board and
independently get ready.
4. If you have a pertinent quesion or comment, raise your hand and wait to be called on.
5. When anyone is addressing the class, it is important to listen and be respectful.
6. The clock or bell does not dismiss you, the teacher does. Do not pack up early.
Grades will consist of lab assignments, projects, test/quizzes and homework. Homework and classwork points
wil be recorded on a stamp sheet which will require a parent's signature when it is completed. Late homework is
accepted but points are deducted. Late labs and projects will be accepted but drop a letter grade fir each day late.
With an excused absence, students will be given a reasonable amount of time to complete assignments. Citizenship
grade is a reflection of attitude, effort, independence and consistency in following school rules, especially safety in
If you would lide to donate to science: kleenex, glue sticks, dry erase markers, box of gloves(dissections), pencils,
colored pencils, markers, hand soap, hand sanitizer, paper towels, (clean up after labs!)
If we all do our part, we are going to have a great time in science class this year! Come to class curious!
Ms Duncan :)