Welcome to the FCUSD Athletics Website
Our athletic programs firmly belief that all participants are students first and athletes second. FCUSD recognizes athletic competition as an integral part of the school experience. As such, all athletes should have the opportunity to participate in some form of interscholastic athletics within the limitations of each individual sport and such participation should encourage positive scholastic growth and achievement. Both the student athlete and the sport itself should be a credit to the school and the community. FCUSD realizes that an effective interscholastic athletic program is a product of the responsible cooperation among its five major contributors: the student athlete, the parents/guardians, the coaching staff, the school site and our District administration. FCUSD strives to strengthen the integrity of students and adults in the community by promoting the concepts of sportsmanship, honesty, and quality academics. These priorities advance the highest principles of character, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship.
“2018-19 Athletic Year in Review” for FCUSD Athletics
This year’s school sports in FCUSD has truly been remarkable, I have to share this with you because in some way shape or another, each of you have contributed. From high school sports to elementary track and field, our student-athletes, teachers, coaches, parents and administrators have contributed a tremendous amount of time, energy, resources and dedication to providing opportunities and a life time of memories.
Schools and league they participate in:
Cordova High School – Greater Sacramento League (GLS)
Folsom High School – Sierra Foothill League (SFL)
Vista del Lago High School – Capital Athletic League (CAL)
Folsom Middle School – Foothill Athletic League (FAL)
Mills Middle School – Twin Rivers Athletic League (TRAL)
Mitchell Middle School – Twin Rivers Athletic League (TRAL)
Sutter Middle School – Foothill Athletic League (FAL)
Below is a list of notable accomplishments, however by no means is this a representation of all the benefits of youth athletics.
- Folsom High School Varsity Football team is the CIF STATE D 1-AA Champs for 2018. Back-to-back State Champs, fourth since 2010. In addition to the Northern California D 1-AA Champs, they are the 2018 Sac-Joaquin Division I Section Champs, and they have won their fifth SFL league Championship. They are ranked 7th in the country and 4th in the state.
- Vista Del Lago High School Girls Cross Country team won the CAL league Championship and CIF STATE Division III Title.
- Mitchell Middle School Boys Basketball Team won the TRAL League.
- Vista Del Lago High School Girls Golf team won the CAL league Championship.
- Mills Middle School Boys Soccer team won the TRAL league.
- Cordova High School Football won the first GSL league Championship.
- Folsom High School Girls Volleyball team made playoffs.
- Folsom Middle School 7th and 8th grade Boys Volleyball team won the FAL.
- Sutter Middle School's 8th and 7th grade Boys teams won the FCUSD Basketball Tournament.
- Vista Wrestling team took first place in CAL and are the Section Team Champs.
- Vista Girls Soccer team took first place in CAL.
- Sutter Middle School 6/7th Grade Girls Basketball team won the FAL.
- Folsom Middle School 8th Grade Girls Basketball team won the FAL.
- FHS Wrestling team took first place in SFL.
- FHS Boys and Girls basketball team took first place in the SFL.
- CHS Boys Basketball took first place in GSL.
- Mills Middle School's 8th Grade Girls Basketball team won the TRAL League
- Sutter Middle School's 8th and 7th grade Girls teams won the FCUSD Basketball Tournament.
- Vista Boys Volleyball team won the CAL league and made it to Section Semi-Final game.
- Folsom Middle School 6th Grade Boys Track team won the FAL.
- Swim State Finals (1606 high school competing in California):
- Vista’s Morgan Gore – Girls 100 Butterfly -13th place
- FHS Girls 200 Freestyle Relay – 16th place
- Track and Field State Finals meet will start on May 24-25
- CHS- Faauiga Toele- Qualified for State meet
- VHS – Three athletes- Qualified for State meet
- Vista Boys Tennis won the CAL league and are Division III CIF-SJS Section Championship!
- FHS Baseball won the SFL league and made the final four in DI playoffs.
- Cordova Softball won the GSL League and playoffs.
- Cordova Baseball made the playoffs.
- Folsom Softball made it to final four in DI playoffs.
- Vista Softball made into 2nd round of the playoffs.
All of our programs are thriving and continue to grow and benefit our student-athletes. Of the 10,491 secondary students at the seven comprehensive school sites, 3378 students are participating in sports. That is 32% of our middle and school students in sports, 37% males and 28% of our females. Of course this does not take into account the number of student-athletes who are attending our schools and competing in club sports with outside organizations. And this is not taking into account our students who are participating in Unified Sports or Special Olympics.
One of the many highlights this year is when Troy Taylor, CHS grad and former head coach at FHS and Kris Richardson, former head coach at FHS both became coaches at Sac State. Another is Jonas Williams, FHS grad, he was selected in the first round eleventh pick of the NFL draft. Numerous students from the Class of 2019 have received athletic scholarships to colleges.
It is imperative that I share with you that these accomplishments don’t happen by accident, they happen by design. Thanks to our communities, with RCAA and FAA, the youth programs in Rancho Cordova and Folsom continue to be a pathway of success for our secondary programs. Elementary school sites are used for youth sports in both ends of the district by our own students.
From the elementary Presidential Awards, to Fitness Gram testing, to youth sports in our communities, to character development in our schools, FCUSD Athletics is thriving.
Special thanks to every department in our District, Superintendent and School Board for believing in and supporting all of our students.
Director of Athletics
1965 Birkmont Dr.
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742