Dear FCUSD Families / students / coaches:
Please know that we are committed to supporting and providing every opportunity to our student-athletes that are allowed based upon the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), the Sacramento County Public Health (SCPH) and California Interscholastic Federation (CIF). Every district in our state is mandated to follow these guidelines. The pandemic has created challenges unlike any we have seen in the past. Nonetheless, we are committed to the safety, well-being and positive experience for our student-athletes using every resource we have, and we need your help. We realize that the information continues to change and we are adjusting the best we can with the situation at hand to ensure we follow the guidelines as set forth by CDPH, SCPH and CIF. Our priorities remain the same: 1. the safety of our students, staff and community, 2. the social emotional well-being of our students, 3. Provide opportunities to meet the need of our student-athletes’ potentials.
- Face coverings are required for coaches, staff, observers, and players on sidelines. They are strongly encouraged for participants during practice, conditioning, and competition.
- Observers are limited to immediate household members for the purposes of age appropriate supervision and must maintain 6 foot distancing from others.
- Competitions are limited to 2 teams (no tournaments) and are only permitted within county or with bordering counties, no out of state competition. Teams may play a maximum of 1 competition per day.
- Schools have implemented informed consent for participants, acknowledging risks associated with participation.
- Routine testing of coaches and participants in multiple sports.
- Private cars should be limited to household members.
- Allowable sports are categorized by tier based on indoor/outdoor and level of contact.
For more specific details please visit the CDPH website link: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/COVID-19/outdoor-indoor-recreational-sports.aspx )
Thank you for the continued understanding and support,
Peter Maroon (Director of Athletics, FCUSD)
Lisa Finley (FHS Athletic Director)
Mark Beamish (CHS Athletic Director)
Mark Keeton (VDL Athletic Director)
Education Based Athletics
Our athletic programs firmly belief that all participants are students first and athletes second. Unlike youth sports and collegial level, FCUSD is an Education Based Athletic program. FCUSD recognizes athletic competition as an integral part of the school experience. As such, all athletes should have the opportunity to participate in some form of interscholastic athletics within the limitations of each individual sport and such participation should encourage positive scholastic growth and achievement. Both the student athlete and the sport itself should be a credit to the school and the community. FCUSD realizes that an effective interscholastic athletic program is a product of the responsible cooperation among its five major contributors: the student athlete, the parents/guardians, the coaching staff, the school site and our District administration. FCUSD strives to strengthen the integrity of students and adults in the community by promoting the concepts of sportsmanship, honesty, and quality academics. These priorities advance the highest principles of character, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship.
Director of Athletics
1965 Birkmont Dr.
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742